Thursday, April 16, 2009

An easy bread recipe?

The last time I baked bread I forgot about the rising dough. This resulted in a blob of bread dough, sliding Steven King style across my countertop and half way down my cabinet door. Needless to say I was THRILLED to find this easy recipe for bread that I actually end up eating and not cleaning off my kitchen floor.

Pre-heat oven to 375 and lightly grease your bread pan.

Mix together:

3 cups flour (I like to use 1 1/2 cups white and 1 1/2 cups whole wheat)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Now for the fun part.

Pour in a beer. Bottle or can. Of ANY beer you choose. I love Sam Adams Cherry Wheat which gives my bread a fruity salty flavor but I've used everything from Guinness to Budlight (don't judge, it was in my roommate's mini-fridge!). It usually tastes great!

Mix the beer into your dry ingredients until everything is blended. The dough will still be slightly chunky and this is fine.

If you're okay with some extra calories, put some butter over the top of the bread. This gives it a crispy outside that's simply delicious!

Bake for 45-60 minutes.

Have fun and let me know of any beers you recommend trying!

No comments: